Instructor: West Campus | Karen Holcombe, Therese Matthew & Selected Staff
The Health Occupations program is offered through the Technical Academy for high achieving students. The Technical Academy is a partnership between the Berks Career & Technology Center, Reading Area Community College, and Bloomsburg University.
The Health Occupations program provides college-bound students with the opportunity to develop advanced technical skills and earn up to 24 transcripted college credits toward an associate degree while still in high school. This program is designed to provide students with the competencies necessary to obtain employment in the field of electronic health records and healthcare information technology.
Students develop technical expertise in the use of computer hardware, software, and networks as they relate to physician’s offices, clinics, laboratories, hospitals, group practices, specialty practices, health insurance offices and nursing homes.
The curriculum includes courses in Medical Terminology, Medical Office Procedures, Legal and Ethical Issues in Healthcare, Microcomputer Applications, Introduction to Information Technology and Computerized Medical Office.
In addition to earning college credit, students will also earn their Certified Nursing Assistant credential and OSHA Safety certification. The program provides students with multiple exit points leading to “high priority” jobs right here in Berks County.
Another Step to Your Success!
Complete Your Bachelor’s Degree on the RACC Campus
Bachelor of Applied Science in Technical Leadership
- Earn a bachelor’s degree from Bloomsburg University by taking classes at the RACC campus at a fraction of the total cost of a 4-year degree program.
- BCTC & RMCTC Technical Academy students may dual enroll during their sophomore, junior & senior years, complete an Associate degree at RACC, then transfer seamlessly into Bloomsburg University’s Technical Leadership B.A.S degree program with admission as a college junior.
THE TECHNICAL ACADEMY PROVIDES:
- In the 1st and 2nd year, Health Occupations students may complete 5 college courses at BCTC, earning up to 15 college credits tuition free! Students will be expected to purchase textbooks and all other course materials.
- In the 3rd year of the program, students may take an additional 3 courses on the RACC Campus, earning up to an additional 9 college credits while in high school. Tuition for the final courses taken on the RACC Campus (while students are still in high school) may be subsidized by BCTC and is dependent on state and federal funding.
- All credits earned will appear as completed courses on a college transcript establishing the transferability of these courses.
- Students must be in Grades 10 or 11 to begin a program in the Technical Academy.
- 3.0 overall GPA *
- Math Proficiency
- Reading Proficiency
- To remain in the program,students must complete a college prep academic sequence
throughout high school.
- Signed Letter of Understanding to attend RACC to earn an associate degree.
- Students transitioning to RACC after graduation and completion of the Technical Academy
courses will be required to complete RACC's placement assessment. SAT, ACT, and AP scores may be evaluated to determine the need to take RACC's placement assessment.
* With special permission a student may be accepted on a provisional basis with a 2.5 GPA or higher.
COURSE OF STUDY WHILE IN HIGH SCHOOL
ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORDS AND HEALTHCARE IT DEGREE
(BCTC’s Health Occupations Students)
The following courses are part of RACC’s Electronic Health Records and Healthcare IT program of study. The courses students may take at RACC in the 12th grade are indicated with an asterisk *.
Healthcare Information Technology
EHR 100 – Medical Terminology – 3 credits
EHR 200 – Medical Office Procedures – 3 credits
EHR 210 – Legal and Ethical Issues in Healthcare – 3 credits
IFT 110 – Microcomputer Applications – 3 credits
IFT 100 - Introduction to Information Technology -3 credits
EHR 110 - Computerized Medical Office - 3 credits *
IFT 120 - Advanced Microcomputer Applications - 3 credits *
ORI 103 - College Success Strategies - 3 credits *
Total Credit Hours Available for HS Students – 24 credits
Please see the Technical Academy Brochure for more information.
HEALTH OCCUPATIONS First Level Students
by Louise Simmers Year Published: 2013
ISBN #: 978-1-13370-320-4
MUST PURCHASE NEW: $67.00 (Approximate Cost)
by Louise Simmers Year Published:
Optional Resource Book
ISBN #: 978-1-13369-361-1
Approximate Cost - New: $115.00 to Gently Used: $45.00
by Dean Vaughn Year Published:
Required Learning Guide
Medical Terminology 350: Learning Guide(2ndEdition)
The Textbook is available for purchase through BCTC. Please see your Instructor for more information.
BCTC Price for Textbook: $25.00
HEALTH OCCUPATIONS Second Level Students
by Hartman Publishing Inc. Year Published: 2017
ISBN #: 978-1-60425-068-8
MUST PURCHASE NEW: $17.00 (Approximate Cost)
HEALTH OCCUPATIONS 12th Grade NAT Program
by Hartman Publishing Inc. Year Published: 2015
Textbook ISBN #: 978-1-60425-061-9
Approximate Cost - New: $54.00
by Hartman Publishing Inc. Year Published: 2015
Workbook ISBN #: 978-1-60425-062-6
MUST PURCHASE NEW: $16.00 (Approximate Cost)